Student Comment: 'I definitely learned a lot from [the course) but it was also beneficial in affirming [and raising my confidence] in what I already knew.' Katrina Merrifield, Masters Conservation Science, NZ, Trees for Rehabilitation course.
Create a better environment by growing the best trees, the best way on a degraded site.
Course Duration: 100 hours
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Approaches To Land Rehabilitation
- Ecology Of Soils And Plant Health
- Introduction To Seed Propagation Techniques
- Propagation And Nursery Stock.
- Dealing With Chemical Problems
- Physical Plant Effects On Degraded Sites
- Plant Establishment Programs
- Hostile Environments
- Plant Establishment Care
- Rehabilitating Degraded Sites
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Compare different approaches to land rehabilitation, to determine strengths and weaknesses of alternative options on a site to be rehabilitated.
- Determine techniques to maximise plant development in land rehabilitation situations.
- Explain the different ways of producing seedling trees for land rehabilitation purposes.
- Determine appropriate plant establishment programs.
- Develop procedures to care for plants, during establishment in an hostile environment.
- Manage the rehabilitation of degraded soil.
- Explain the effect of plants on improving a degraded site, both physically and chemically.
What You Will Do
- Keep your skills current and relevant to Tree Rehabilitation. Attend workshops and other Professional Development opportunites to brush up on your knowledge.
- Meet other people in the industry. Attend functions and join networking sites to meet others working in the industry.
- Get experienced. Try to gain experience, maybe by volunteering your time to add to your CV.
ACS offers a wide range of Environmental Studies covering courses in zoology, environmental management, wildlife, botany, waste, eath sciences for vocational careers, self improvement (adult education) or qualifications; available as e learning (on line or CD electronic study) or with traditional printed texts.
ENROL or Use our FREE Course Advice Service to Connect with a Tutor